A novel whose principal subject is the moral, psychological, and intellectual development of a usually youthful main character.
From German, bildung, formation, education + roman, novel.
(For the novella version, have a look at my CV)
Oct 2017 - Feb 2020
Internet services developer
Started with content filtering, then moved on to phishing site detection on the web or social platforms, automated security examination of networks, and automated countermeasures against internet fraud. Sometimes I would follow up where the automated systems were limited, doing detective work to track down institutions or people all over the internet in order to let them know their website has been compromised.
I have also run the Netcraft Web Server Survey, which collects comprehensive statistics about websites and hosts on the internet, and lead the redesign of the website.
Dec 2014 - Dec 2016
Junior Clinical Software Analyst
I started by designing and building the website, then progressed to test, debug, and develop applications for clinical trials data collection and automatically randomising treatment assigned to patients to maximise statistical power of the trial. I completed Good Clinical Practice training, joined some trial management meetings an worked on validation of data and trial design.
Here I have received an accreditation for .NET Development and learned iOS development in Swift. Some of the most intriguing technical tasks I tackled here were reverse engineering and low-level operating system management in Windows.
My work in clinical trials, especially focusing on mental health, have stimulated my interest in neuroscience and psychiatric research. During this time I have become acquainted with the Maudsley Psychedelic Society and have attended most of their talks.
Supervisor: Dr. Evangelos Georgiou
Aug 2015 - Oct 2015
Investigated methods of reasoning about concurrent data structures with an innovative new program logic for Time and Data Abstraction (TaDA) and created a technical specification of Red-Black Trees which guarantees correct concurrent behaviour. Also implemented a prototype of such a concurrent data structure in Haskell.
Jun 2014 - Sep 2014
Software Engineering Intern
Front-end and back-end development for user settings in Java using dependency injection.
Jan 2021 - present
Helping students with Python-based simulations of the Oslo sandpile model and Barabasi-Albert network model.
Jan 2021 - present
Participating in (and occasionally running) tutorials. Creating Jupyter notebooks with practical exercises and examples of cryptographic protocols, as well as the history of cryptography.
Supervisor: Prof. Michael Huth
Jan 2021 - Apr 2021
Answering students’ questions on course content during tutorials.
Supervisor: Dr. Sergio Maffeis
AWARDS & GRANTS
Oct 2020 - Oct 2024
Awarded a grant to pursue a PhD programme in the Department of Computing at Imperial College.
Incubator for cyber-security startups, part of a UK Government-funded cyber-security programme.
SnowWall— Imperial College London Distinction
Presenting at the Department of Computing Distinguished Projects Gala keynote presentation to more than 300 staff, members of the public, and school students.
A cyber-security competition between the UK’s Academic Centres of Excellence in Cyber-Security, sponsored by the Cabinet Office and GCHQ.
Computational Morality — ICL Corporate Partnership Prize
Awarded Best Project in its category, Best Presentation and Best Website.
2020 - present
PhD Complexity Science
Exploring the emergence of self-organised collective behaviour at multiple scales using tools from complexity science, information theory, neuroscience and psychedelic science, signal processing, network science, statistical mechanics, and computer science. Building hardware for experiments as well as simulations. Multiple interdisciplinary collaborations with musicians, neuroscientists, psychologists and social scientists.
2016 - 2017
MEng Computing (distinction)
Investigating the relationship between the internet’s architecture, firewalls, and privacy, and building a tool in C# which communicates with the Windows networking interfaces to allow users to visualise the flow of outbound data. The project was awarded a distinction by Imperial College, was presented at the London Met Cybercrime Unit, and was a finalist of HutZero 2018, a cyber-security start-up incubator. It was also used, successfully, to catch the bad guys - more than once!
2013 - 2016
Courses & interests:
- Computing: Computational Neuroscience, Information Theory & Codes, Cryptography Engineering, Networks & Communication, Net & Web Security, Privacy Enhancing Techniques, Software Reliability, Models of Computation, Functional Programming, Natual Language Processing
- Humanities: Philosophy of Science (with Dr. Scott Biagi), Aesthetics (with Dr. Scott Biagi), Philosophy of Mind (with Dr. Greg Artus)
- 2016 Seek: An Information Retrieval tool written in Python for natural language processing on large corpora. Can extract, with good accuracy, topics, names, and summaries from unstructured text.
- 2016 Scanalysis: A static analysis tool written in Scala which parses a piece of code and transforms it into a logic statement, verifying against a set of pre and post-conditions whether the code is correct
- 2015 PintOS: a version of the Standford operating systems exercise in C. Contributed implementations of system calls, memory management, thread synchronisation and interruptions.
- 2014 WHack: A compiler written from scratch in Haskell for a simplified C-like language called WACC.
- 2014 RaspberryDots: An assembler and emulator for ARM architecture. Fully implemented in C, the system was then deployed on a Raspberry Pi and used to encode a sequence of characters into blinks of LEDs.
- 2013 Computational Morality: a research project on logic models for computational morality and their use for AI applied to decision-making for trolley problems.
- 2015 Enigma: an enigma machine simulation in C++.
2010 - 2012
Professional Diploma in Photography
Thesis: “The Symbolic and Psychological Use of Colour in Photography” (Psihologia si simbolismul culorii in fotografie)
Exhibition: Constanta Expo, June 2012.
2009 - 2013
Baccalaureate 9.61/10 GPA (Maths, Computing, Literature & English)
Participated in local and national competitions:
- County Informatics Olympiad 2011 (OJI) - First Prize
- National Applied Informatics Contest 2011 (CIA) - Ranked #6
- County Mathematics Olympiad 2010 (OJM) - Second prize
- National Physics Olympiad 2009 (ONF) - Ranked #12